Berkeley Campus Scenes by Pedro J. Lemos
The Class of 1910 Bridge is a woodblock print by PEDRO JOSEPH LEMOS (1882-1954). The bridge spans Strawberry Creek in the center of the UC Berkeley campus. It was donated by the Senior Class of 1910 in honor of Phoebe Hearst, one of Cal’s most important benefactors. The Latin dedication on the reverse of the bridge’s arch contains a “typo” in its first word (“hunc”, Latin for “here,” originally inscribed in error as “hanc,”), evidence that even esteemed scholars make mistakes. The gaffe, pointed out by a student, was only rectified after the responsible classics professor had retired!
Lemos was among the most influential of the Bay Area's artists and educators of the “Arts and Crafts” era, who was not only an important artist and educator of the applied arts and design in numerous media, but also as an architectural designer, writer, publisher, painter, and printmaker.
This print and its companions in the “Berkeley” series were produced for the “Blue and Gold” Yearbook of the University of California’s Class of 1917. They have been digitally scanned on high-quality graphic paper and fused on a wooden block with recessed bracing for immediate wall-mounting. A clear coat of UV film has been applied to protect and enhance color stability.