Hearst Memorial Mining Building is a woodblock print by PEDRO JOSEPH LEMOS (1882-1954). The Hearst Memorial Mining Building was the first on the UC campus designed by John Galen Howard, Cal’s most prolific architect, responsible for 20 of the University’s “classic core” buildings. Constructed in the Classical Revival style, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Its graceful interior features three large glass domes, and it was extensively retrofitted and upgraded in 2002 to meet the most current earthquake resistance standards. Nowadays, it is home to the material sciences department.
Lemos was among the most influential of the Bay Area's artists and educators of the “Arts and Crafts” era, who was not only an important artist and educator of the applied arts and design in numerous media, but also as an architectural designer, writer, publisher, painter, and printmaker.
This print and its companions in the “Berkeley” series were produced for the “Blue and Gold” Yearbook of the University of California’s Class of 1917. They have been digitally scanned on high-quality graphic paper and fused on a wooden block with recessed bracing for immediate wall-mounting. A clear coat of UV film has been applied to protect and enhance color stability.